Avalanche Courses in Rossland BC with Big Red Cat Skiing
Whether you are getting ready for your first winter of backcountry skiing and riding or you’ve been at it for years, the Avalanche Skills Training (AST) Level 1 or 2 course - developed by the Canadian Avalanche Centre - is the perfect opportunity to learn about (or brush up on) safe backcountry travel techniques, route finding, slope assessment and companion rescue. Join us for a combination of classroom learning and snowcat assisted ski touring. Our AST courses are taught by Keith Robine, a professional member of the Canadian Avalanche Association with 20 years of experience teaching avalanche courses to recreational skiers and riders.
Other dates and custom courses (such as the one-day guided ski touring with basic avalanche instruction) may be available upon request. For more information click for AST course instructions and to register, please contact:
AST Course Curriculum
- Formation & Nature of Avalanches
- Avalanche Terrain
- Public Avalanche Danger Ratings & Forecasts
- Trip Planning, ATES & The Avaluator™
- Slope Assessment & Terrain Traps
- Route Finding
- Safe Travel in Avalanche Terrain
- Companion Rescue
AST 1: Starts at 8:30 a.m. and is two full days.
AST 2: Starts at 6:00 p.m. One evening and three full days. The AST 1 is a prerequisite for the AST 2, unless you have significant touring experience - equivalent training is acceptable with approval of the instructor. The AST 2 goes into more detail on snow science and covers more advanced decision-making in the backcountry.
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Consider and incorporate preventative measures.
- Prioritize actions if caught in an avalanche.
- Understand the function of airbags.
- Understand transceiver functions and practice transceiver skills.
- Apply search and rescue techniques.
- Practice searching without a transceiver.
- Consider multiple burial situations.
- Organize a group rescue.
- Identify post-incident considerations.
Course starts at 8:30 a.m. Meet at Big Red Cats office. Be prepared to be in the field for most of the day, but skis are not required, just winter clothing and boots.
Companion Rescue: $99
AST 1: $199
AST 2: $350
Companion Rescue: $99
AST 2 2-day Refresher including touring: $199
- 1:1 Private Guide: $299
- Group of 2-3: $150/person
- Group of 4-6: $99/person
- Touring equipment and safety gear not included.
- Group size is the size of group you bring out. Additional people may be added to your group, and price remains the same, unless you purchased a 1:1 guide.